Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Blip: Murray's various failures

Andy Murray has proved his unexpected allegiances with England by providing for us the sweet, weary nectar that all English folk crave so greedily: Disappointment. Well done you useless sportsman you. He will, in all likelihood, experience the same disappointment - that he so expertly served the masses with – later in his life as he comes to realise the fleeting popularity and marketability of sportspersons. In short, a tennis arm soon withers alongside the affluence it provides for its owner. 

It’s not to say that I don’t feel sorry for him and others in his unfortunate position nor that I can admit any amount of responsibility nor absolve him of any blame or fault to be had; it is simply that he made the decision to start playing tennis at 5 and get a tennis coach at 11 and to continue down that path as though it held anything other than mid-life disgrace. Such is the fate, I suppose, of any current sports star. Although to call Murray a star would be greatly overestimating him in general. 

Enough Murray-bashing now, besides I can easily expand my point to talk about all people that choose to value and seek sports over all else; and, of course, I won’t admit openly that Mr.Murray will be continuing to inspire this tirade but you’ll all know it’s there, hidden away. 

Physical fitness is something that most, if not all, people would benefit from: Easier, more rest-filled sleeps, higher capacity to be active if that is your preference, healthier digestive system, feelings of personal achievement and perhaps attractivity, if you are so inclined. I barely consider it, however, a side-note to a caption in the 26 edition tome that would be the book of my uneventful life; I exercise and I eat well, although the latter emerges from a love of food and an inability to be taken in by the popular movement of fleeting opinions on what is and isn’t healthy or desirable in terms of food.   
  
You may notice that this post looks back at my last one that outlined misguided societal values and compared them to my own personal choices; this is by no coincidence, it is a continuation. Sports are glorified where intelligence, sensibility and organisation are discounted.

I will end this in the same tone as the last; I will not make outward claims of the current view of things as wrong (even though anybody with any sense would say it is just that); I will just say that it is frustrating that people who commit great acts of organisation such as keeping accounts to a startling degree of accuracy, colour-coded and ordered chronologically, systematically and alphabetically are not treated with the same glory and valour as those that can hit, or indeed kick, a ball toward an area as big as 200 balls from a few feet away.

Blip (signature placeholder)

picture reference

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think and don't be afraid to be honest, that's what we're here for.