Sunday, 17 June 2012

Blip: Coping with LLI #3: The Justice League


‘Anonymous’ posted a comment on one of Pop’s posts that has forced us to confront an inevitable obstacle in spreading the awareness and discussion that this blog is intended to provoke: The current popular opinion of LLI as yet another device used to define social groups.

The comment generally reads like a scathing letter from the justice league, berating me for comparing my powers to theirs but I’ll deal with it nonetheless.

Let’s see, where to begin? That start is as good as anywhere else.

“Your blog posts and the way you write and express things, and your thinking process leads myself and a few others (who have true low latent inhibition with high IQ's) to believe that you have probably self diagnosed aspergers as low latent inhibition and that you probably don't have LLI.”

-It opens with a misconception immediately: the comment is on, as I said, one of Pop’s posts about LLI and not one of mine; Pop has never claimed to have LLI so it follows that the way Pop writes won’t mirror my writing. The ‘true low latent inhibition’ is laughable; they have declared me a fake and their claim to be genuine with next to no information, even going so far as to offer me a differential diagnosis. Aspergers is a pitiful and narrow-minded attempt at one too, they’ve heard social awkwardness and ran with it.

“None of us are picking up on any signs of LLI really in your case, yet you freely claim to have it. How did you actually reach your diagnosis? In order to discover whether you do have it or not, you need to meet others with LLI. As only somebody with LLI can spot another true LLI. If you fancy coming forth and exploring whether you do indeed have LLI, then we await you my first in the low latent inhibition group on facebook.”

-Once again, Professor Xavier and his school for gifted children are disappointed in me. They aren’t picking up on any signs of my having LLI, conveniently ignoring all of the symptoms that there are of course: Sensory overload/distraction, over-analysis, excessive thought streams, following social awkwardness, sociopathy and an emotionless, analytical mind. 

-Since when is LLI a socially diagnosed disease? It isn’t drug addiction or outward sadism. Now here is the best bit: “As only somebody with LLI can spot another true LLI.” I don’t need to explain this but I will restate it: “Only those at one with the force can detect another jedi.” I’m surprised at the use of the term LLI as a pronoun but there you go. The idea of me learning more on their facebook page is not only downright silly but also rather telling. They are using LLI as a point of definition for a social group; their friends apparently all have it and it serves as a great portal through which they can attack others and defend themselves but all it really achieves is causing more problems for people like me who are concerned more with dealing with the difficulties of a mind such as this than we are about trying to succeed socially. It is as though they have invited me to join the true rebel alliance rather than the continuity rebel alliance. 

“There is no point in "claiming" to have LLI until it has been proven, or until you have been accepted by others with LLI. I imagine you wont post this on your blog, if that is the case then you have proven the point i am making about you not having LLI.”

-Again with the social acceptance, if I were a beginner psychologist I would perhaps say that this person is insecure, striving for attention and acceptance among peers. Then it continues with a bit of funky logic: If I don’t post the comment, I am lying. There is no validity here, only vague threats. I am happy to put the comment up, though, to show people the kind of idiocy and prejudice that some are put under the oppressive gaze of. As for the “proven” LLI, LLI cannot be proven in such a way it is, definitionally, a rare behavioural trait and has no neurological or otherwise physiological signs, thus a diagnosis is often not 100%
My claim to have LLI is, as anyone who has closely read this blog will know, shorthand for my mental state as noticed and described by many people as abnormal. I have spent a great deal of my life so far searching for answers and LLI showed me countless examples of the difficulties of my life and gave me a quick way to explain what it is people find so disagreeable and odd about me. I don’t care whether I actually ‘have’ LLI, as you put it, I care about my own mental state and those of others and we have set up this blog to help them by providing information of my experience. 

We have used a phrase a few times: Non-specific mental oddities. That is what we’re combatting, non-specific difficulties and oddities relating to the varying and unique thinking processes of everybody. We all think differently and so we should all learn from each other to accept this and find ways to deal with it. I would happily abandon the term LLI except for the fact that it fits so very well to me and gives me a platform through which I can spread my experience. 

The point is, the person who wrote this comment is stuck under a label, happily identifying themselves by it and drawing a thick barrier around their social group rather than put any care at all into what the term LLI means and how it could help so many people.
You are, naturally, more than welcome to continue commenting but next time, make an effort towards a valid or constructive point. Otherwise you’re just time wasting. 

For the benefit of others reading this reply, take note of this comment, this is the social phenomenon caused by the ‘coolness’ and ‘mystique’ that LLI has gained thanks to the lies that Prison break spreads. It will hinder your progress towards learning your mind and we would all be best to ignore it.

People hear of a superpower and they want in. Just like Batman: Utility belts and nipple-pronouncing suits of armour aren’t superpowers you caped-crusading fake. 

Blip (signature placeholder) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think and don't be afraid to be honest, that's what we're here for.