Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Blip: Impatient technology consumers


I may only be 22 but I can still recognise certain truths of the world that are all too often ignored as senile hysteria. I'm not talking about the supposed decline in societal morals (those have never been particularly high, save for in rare isolated cases) and I'm not talking about the falkland war reigniting (although with how Argentina are acting at the moment: watch this space.)

What I'm talking about is technology and the speed that it advances with. Every few weeks the next model of some generic supposedly life improving device arrives and people go mad to get their hands on one. I understand what it's like to wait for a long time for something that is going to be great, after all, I've waited for bacon.

As far as technology goes, I've waited for sequels and continuations of games series (i.e. Skyrim) and so on, I also take advantage of a number of modern conveniences; I have an Iphone (albeit an old model, rendering it and by extension me obselete.) On the other hand, I also still use a SNES and a Nintendo 64 released in 1992 and 1997 respectively. Technology breeds technology so it follows that as we advance, we advance quicker. This doesn't justify the impatient nature of the consumers of modern technology though.

If you've ever seen 'The Gadget Show" you will probably know what I'm talking about. They are the most faddy, pretentious pretend geeks I've ever seen. They aren't proper geeks, they go to nightclubs and speak in that modern trendy lingo which is the exclusive domain of pitiful facebook obsessives. They also submit their reviewed technological products to terribly inconsistent tests and recommend purchases based on them, let me give you an eye-opening example:

-The remit is to test a few types of modern earphones for an mp3 player of some kind.

-One of the areas they choose to "test" them in is how well they block the sound to the outside.

-The test they decide on is reasonable enough: A guy listening to music on the bus with these headphones, three people sat behind him and they rate it on how well they could hear it (although with them actively trying to listen by leaning forward, the test is already disparaged from the start.)

-Here's the insane part: They used a different style of music for each headphones between heavy metal, pop music and classical.

-Naturally the classical ones won, the pop ones did okay and the headphones that had the heavy metal failed miserably. They went on to conclude that they should be rated in that order.

Do I even have to point out why intelligent thought of this calibre should be enough to sentence them to life imprisonment, if only to save them from their own cognitive incompetence?

Alas, I digress. The current state of impatience surrounding technological culture is what's to blame for programmes like this gaining popularity and for technology companies feeling pressured into coming out with the 'next big thing' every six months.

Blip *signature placeholder*

1 comment:

  1. Great post. This article is really very interesting and enjoyable. I think its must be helpful and informative for us. Thanks for sharing your nice post about Impatient technology consumers .
    champions league live

    ReplyDelete

Please tell us what you think and don't be afraid to be honest, that's what we're here for.